So Many More Places To Go!

How many countries I have been to. Visited Countries Map Maker
Visited 35 UN countries (18.1%) out of 193.
Make your own visited countries map.

Friday, June 6, 2014

A full day in London

June 5, 2014
In my only real sightseeing day in London, I feel like I accomplished a lot. but first, I have some VERY EXCITING non-travel news that I think I can tell now. When I was waiting at the gate at Dulles, Oumar and Lisa called me and said they had something to tell me. They were getting married the next day. They had planned this for a while but intended to surprise everyone and tell us after the fact. They had to call and tell me the day before because I was traveling. I had known they were leaving on a cruise this Saturday, but I had no idea it would be a honeymoon. So, they were married on Wednesday at the San Francisco courthouse. They had a photographer, so we will get photos, but I don't have them yet. I am VERY, VERY happy. 
Now, for travel news. Today I had breakfast at my hotel (no big thrill - self-serve similar to US). Then I walked over to Marble Arch and took the BigBus tour. It's one of those hop-on buses where you buy a ticket for a day and can ride as much as you want. I rode on top. It was pretty cold and I noticed I was the only one without a jacket. I did have long sleeves and a scarf. I saw lots of things from the bus and heard interesting stories from the tour guide. I got off at Tower Of London and took a tour of the tower. They also keep the Crown Jewels there so I went to look at those too.  Afterwards, I took a cruise on a boat on the Thames (it's included in the BigBus fare). I saw the London Eye. Then I got off the boat at Westminister Abby. I was taking my time, not feeling there was any reason to hurry. It turned out that Westminister Abby closes at 3:30. I was the last person they let in. They have audio tours that you can take around. You have to tell it where you are and then you hear a description. It's well-done, but not nearly as good as the audio tour at Alcatraz.  Then I walked over to Buckingham Palace and arrived just in time for the changing of the guard. Then I rode the bus back to Marble Arch and walked back to my hotel. I had dinner at an Indian restaurant. Yesterday I had fish and chips, so I've eaten the two  foods that I wanted to have in London. Neither was anything special. I really like London and definitely want to come back. I didn't get to see Saint Paul's Cathedral or the British Museum. And next time I'd like to take a trip to see Stonehenge and Bath. They have day trips that go there. 
Tomorrow I fly to Hungary. My flight leaves at 2:45. I'm having the shuttle pick me up. The Heathrow Express was nice, but then you still have to take the underground (carrying luggage up and down several flights of stairs) and walk a ways. The shuttle is easier and doesn't cost any more. I contacted the Medosz Hotel in Budapest and they said I can get an airport shuttle there. Now I just need to organize my stuff.  Some photos:
1 & 2 Tower of London   3 London Eye.  4 Twinings Tea. 5 London phone booths. They still have them! I don't know why since everyone walks down the street talking on their cells just like in the US




No comments: