Monday, March 20, 2017
I think I'm reaching the point where there just isn't very much new each day. I had Arabic class this morning, as usual. Then, since Jameel is also the volunteer who accompanies Heide and me to our class at the Askar class, we went together to the training center for 20 minutes to use their internet and their bathroom. (Also, just to kind of waste time since we didn't need to meet Heide yet). Then we walked down to the taxis. Heide caught up with us on the way.
When we first went to the Askar Camp, the principal told us that he would give us a different group of kids each week, so we thought we would probably get new kids this week, but it turned out to be the same kids. We like those kids, so it was good. We had come prepared with a new lesson (fruits) in case we got the same kid. We have learned that you can never count on things being the way you expected.
Then, when we got back, we stopped for pizza. It's quite different from our pizza. They make it in a wood fired oven. You can get it open or closed. And they put eggs on it. They just put the eggs right on the pizza and then beat them. Then they put olives and all sorts of other stuff.
Here's the menu if you're interested:
Tonight, Ahmed said he wanted to celebrate getting his driver's license. He failed the test the first four times, but this time he passed. Heide and I invited Jameel. We thought it would be at a restaurant or something, but later, it turned out to be at the "Boys' House." We aren't allowed to have Palestinians in the PH houses. PH feels that we might meet Palestinians who are not good to hang around with, so they don't want us bringing them in the house. They also had some robberies last year. But Jameel is actually a PH employee and volunteer. So, I asked Ahmed if he would be permitted to come. He said it was fine with him, but I needed to get permission from Taufiq. Jameel and Taufiq know each other. When I asked Taufiq he said it was fine, because Jameel is a good guy, but this gives you an idea of how complicated it is here.
Guys are not allowed to come to any of the girls' houses. So, often activities are planned at their house. (There are 3 Girls' Houses, but only one Boys' House). Edd has been coming to our place to do exercises with Reema. One day, Ahmed came to the door and Edd ran and hid under the bed in Reema's room. He didn't even know whose bedroom he was in! It was so funny! Like being in high school again!
It's kind of interesting having dinners at the Boys' House. It means that the guys are always hosting and cooking for the women. Last time, I started to wash dishes since I hadn't helped with the cooking, but Nick stopped me and said I was a guest and couldn't wash dishes. Very cute!
I took some photos in the kitchen where lots of people were involved in the cooking, but it's very narrow.
And here's the group in the living room waiting for those in the kitchen to finish cooking:
I think I'm reaching the point where there just isn't very much new each day. I had Arabic class this morning, as usual. Then, since Jameel is also the volunteer who accompanies Heide and me to our class at the Askar class, we went together to the training center for 20 minutes to use their internet and their bathroom. (Also, just to kind of waste time since we didn't need to meet Heide yet). Then we walked down to the taxis. Heide caught up with us on the way.
When we first went to the Askar Camp, the principal told us that he would give us a different group of kids each week, so we thought we would probably get new kids this week, but it turned out to be the same kids. We like those kids, so it was good. We had come prepared with a new lesson (fruits) in case we got the same kid. We have learned that you can never count on things being the way you expected.
Then, when we got back, we stopped for pizza. It's quite different from our pizza. They make it in a wood fired oven. You can get it open or closed. And they put eggs on it. They just put the eggs right on the pizza and then beat them. Then they put olives and all sorts of other stuff.
Here's the menu if you're interested:
Tonight, Ahmed said he wanted to celebrate getting his driver's license. He failed the test the first four times, but this time he passed. Heide and I invited Jameel. We thought it would be at a restaurant or something, but later, it turned out to be at the "Boys' House." We aren't allowed to have Palestinians in the PH houses. PH feels that we might meet Palestinians who are not good to hang around with, so they don't want us bringing them in the house. They also had some robberies last year. But Jameel is actually a PH employee and volunteer. So, I asked Ahmed if he would be permitted to come. He said it was fine with him, but I needed to get permission from Taufiq. Jameel and Taufiq know each other. When I asked Taufiq he said it was fine, because Jameel is a good guy, but this gives you an idea of how complicated it is here.
Guys are not allowed to come to any of the girls' houses. So, often activities are planned at their house. (There are 3 Girls' Houses, but only one Boys' House). Edd has been coming to our place to do exercises with Reema. One day, Ahmed came to the door and Edd ran and hid under the bed in Reema's room. He didn't even know whose bedroom he was in! It was so funny! Like being in high school again!
It's kind of interesting having dinners at the Boys' House. It means that the guys are always hosting and cooking for the women. Last time, I started to wash dishes since I hadn't helped with the cooking, but Nick stopped me and said I was a guest and couldn't wash dishes. Very cute!
I took some photos in the kitchen where lots of people were involved in the cooking, but it's very narrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment