So Many More Places To Go!

How many countries I have been to. Visited Countries Map Maker
Visited 35 UN countries (18.1%) out of 193.
Make your own visited countries map.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Our first dinner together and a free day

Saturday, March 11, 2017
Last night, I was expecting everyone to get back late, but everyone but Lena was back in time for dinner.  I had bought a manoush - kind of like an individual size pizza, but a little bigger and some peppers, tomatoes and avocados.  I was planning to eat a salad and half the manoush.  Then, Heide came home, so I asked if she wanted to share with me.  Then, a little later Reema came home and said she was starving.  She had looked for food in town, but everything was closed.  We decided we needed pasta or rice to stretch our meal.  Heide and I went out to go to a small store while Reema cut up the veggies.  When we got to the store, we decided to get eggs and just make a big omelet.  I asked the man for oil and he showed me sunflower and corn oil.  I asked if he had olive oil, but he didn't.  Then he offered to go to his house to get some!!! (We refused.)  When we got back, we cooked up the food and Silvia arrived.  So, we ended up being four for dinner.  It was fun to cobble something together from what we had and all share dinner.


Today
I'm not supposed to have any classes on Saturdays - Thank goodness!  This morning, I went to the Project Office to ask about help with ATMs.  Taufiq said he could go with me to another ATM and I might have better luck.  After that, I was planning to print out some things for my classes tomorrow and make copies.  As Taufiq and I were about to leave, Noura came and said "Kathy, I need you to go to the training center and teach a class."  Right that minute!  No preparation!  Students I've never met before!  I said I would go, but she knew I was angry.  I first went back to the house to at least get colored pencils so I could talk about colors.  Then, I went to the training center.  They were high school students - about 15 of them.  They were very nice kids.  I think they just offer enrichment at the training center and see who shows up.  It went fine, but I only have one lesson to pull out of my head on the drop of a hat.  After the lesson, I was talking to Deema about my ATM problems.  (She's the person I need to pay for my Arabic class tomorrow.)  Someone at the training center said to go to the ATM in front of An Najah University.  I walked past the university yesterday.  It's on my street.  So, I walked there.  It was again Bank of Jordan (dinars only) and Arab Bank.  I tried Arab Bank.  After taking all my info - including how much money do i want, it said "This machine does not dispense cash"!!!  I started walking home and, in front of the hospital, I noticed that there is another ATM - Bank of Palestine.  It had a MasterCard sign on the awning.  The screen showed only Visa, but I tried anyway.  And I got money!!! Hooray!  The only problem is that it only gives 300 shekels at a time ($80).  I needed about $2000 shekels.  I need 950 for Deema for the Arabic class.  So, I took money out 4 times.  It charges 6 shekels each time, but at least I have money now.
So, now that I have money, I tried to buy some things we needed.  I got toilet paper.  Heide got some dish towels.  And I also stocked up on veggies.  When I was buying my vegetables, the man said, "That's all?  Nothing else?"  I said I'll come back tomorrow.  He said "Inshallah"
Tonight Ahmed showed us a Palestinian movie in the Project Hope office.  He really organizes a lot of activities.  He made popcorn and tea for everyone to have as we watched the movie.  These activities help a lot because we all get to know each other more and more.


No comments: