Saturday, March 25, 2017
I think the market looks like a typical Middle Eastern market, but here are some photos. I don't know whether I mentioned that all the vendors in the market are men. There are plenty of women buying, but none are selling. Also, traditionally, men should not touch women, so when they give me my change, they always drop it into my palm without touching. I like that here they do talk to me in Arabic. In Fez and Beirut, people would always talk to me in English. Here, I ask the price in Arabic and they answer in Arabic.
Vegetables for sale: They are very cheap. You ask the vendor for a plastic bag (small). Then you put whatever you want in it - as if it's your basket at the supermarket. When I'm done, I hand it to him and he will take things out to weigh them separately. Then, he tells me the total, ties the bag in a knot and gives it back to me.
I don't know what this is, but the Palestinians must like it a lot because I always see it in the market.
A pizza stand, shawarma stand and juice stand. A personal-size pizza is less than $2. I haven't tried the juice at the juice stand.
Fish and meat. I haven't bought any of it yet. I've gotten cooked meat, here, but so far, I have only cooked vegetables and eggs. We don't have the best kitchen. But we will probably cook some meat in a small group soon.
Olives (often sold at the same stand as olive oil). Olives are expensive, but delicious.
Sheesha pipes I'm not going to buy one, but I did taste sheesha in a cafe in Hebron. Everyone smokes it in cafes here.
I think the market looks like a typical Middle Eastern market, but here are some photos. I don't know whether I mentioned that all the vendors in the market are men. There are plenty of women buying, but none are selling. Also, traditionally, men should not touch women, so when they give me my change, they always drop it into my palm without touching. I like that here they do talk to me in Arabic. In Fez and Beirut, people would always talk to me in English. Here, I ask the price in Arabic and they answer in Arabic.
Vegetables for sale: They are very cheap. You ask the vendor for a plastic bag (small). Then you put whatever you want in it - as if it's your basket at the supermarket. When I'm done, I hand it to him and he will take things out to weigh them separately. Then, he tells me the total, ties the bag in a knot and gives it back to me.
I don't know what this is, but the Palestinians must like it a lot because I always see it in the market.
A pizza stand, shawarma stand and juice stand. A personal-size pizza is less than $2. I haven't tried the juice at the juice stand.
Olives (often sold at the same stand as olive oil). Olives are expensive, but delicious.
Sheesha pipes I'm not going to buy one, but I did taste sheesha in a cafe in Hebron. Everyone smokes it in cafes here.
No comments:
Post a Comment