Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Last night, we had a professor from AnNajar University come and talk to us about the conflict. It was very interesting and he was also very funny. The room was completely full. After the discussion, the professor asked us to go to the Al Yasmine Hotel for tea. About ten of us went. The tea was good there. It had sage in it. It was very different to walk through the old city late at night. When we left the hotel to come back, it was midnight. The market/old city looks so different then. And the professor was leading us down the streets singing Palestinian national songs. It was lots of fun.
Today was a nice day. I usually have Arabic from 8 to 10:30 in the morning, so I have to get out early, but Jameel's mom was having surgery today, so I told him we should cancel the class. Then, it turned out that he didn't need to go there, so he called Heide and me and asked if we wanted to go out for breakfast. We went to a little place in the market. We just put all the dishes in the middle and shared: hummus, omelet, and yogurt with mint and spices in it. You dip your pita bread in it. Then, we walked somewhere else to get a coffee. And, after all that, it was time for the three of us to go to the Askar Camp to teach the boys. Heide and I were saying tonight that we have really come to like those boys. They're very sweet and enthusiastic. It's fun to teach them.
I also used this afternoon to get stuff done. I washed clothes, went food shopping and washed my hair. And now the weekend here!
Heide knows someone who is going to Ramallah tomorrow. If he has room in the car, I will go, too. We might just stay for the day and then come back. Or, if there's a lot to see, we will stay overnight.
And, I forgot to say, Jameel's mom's surgery went fine.
Last night, we had a professor from AnNajar University come and talk to us about the conflict. It was very interesting and he was also very funny. The room was completely full. After the discussion, the professor asked us to go to the Al Yasmine Hotel for tea. About ten of us went. The tea was good there. It had sage in it. It was very different to walk through the old city late at night. When we left the hotel to come back, it was midnight. The market/old city looks so different then. And the professor was leading us down the streets singing Palestinian national songs. It was lots of fun.
Today was a nice day. I usually have Arabic from 8 to 10:30 in the morning, so I have to get out early, but Jameel's mom was having surgery today, so I told him we should cancel the class. Then, it turned out that he didn't need to go there, so he called Heide and me and asked if we wanted to go out for breakfast. We went to a little place in the market. We just put all the dishes in the middle and shared: hummus, omelet, and yogurt with mint and spices in it. You dip your pita bread in it. Then, we walked somewhere else to get a coffee. And, after all that, it was time for the three of us to go to the Askar Camp to teach the boys. Heide and I were saying tonight that we have really come to like those boys. They're very sweet and enthusiastic. It's fun to teach them.
I also used this afternoon to get stuff done. I washed clothes, went food shopping and washed my hair. And now the weekend here!
Heide knows someone who is going to Ramallah tomorrow. If he has room in the car, I will go, too. We might just stay for the day and then come back. Or, if there's a lot to see, we will stay overnight.
And, I forgot to say, Jameel's mom's surgery went fine.
No comments:
Post a Comment