Tuesday, March 7, 2017
Today, I had four classes! But I am definitely getting adjusted. My first class started at 11:30 and I needed to meet Jafar (my local volunteer) at 11:00. I went a little early to try to make some materials ahead of time. So, now I know how to use the Project Hope computers to download things on the internet and to make copies on their copy machine. Jafar and I took a taxi to the school. We went first to the public school. It's a school for boys and girls. Jafar asked me what we call a school that has boys and girls together in English. I told him it's just a school. The principal took me to a fourth grade class. She stayed most of the time to watch. After that class, she asked if I would come to the same classes each week. I told her I would like to, but that I would do whatever she wanted. She told Jafar that this class has some naughty children in it and I am able to control them, so she would prefer that I take that class. Then, I had two third grade classes in a row. It all went fine. The school was very nice. It's only two years old. I didn't take photos because I felt like I shouldn't take too many photos on my first time there and I will be back. They never seem to mind you taking photos of the children. When it was time to leave, they first gave us a coffee in the principal's office.
After the public school, we went to a school in the refugee camp. I didn't see us go through a gate or anything, but I realized that it looked different. The streets were narrow and unpaved. The class at the camp was an after-school program. The kids come if they want to. They were a fun group of kids. They know very little English, but now that I know it's just an after-school program, I can plan fun activities and not worry about how much progress they make. I did take photos of the kids there because there were no school personnel in the room with us - just Jafar and me. He has a good time joking with the kids. We had them make drawings and Jafar told them that I would take their drawings to America. One girl wasn't drawing and Jafar told her she wouldn't be able to go to America. She said, "I love it here in the camp." When we were leaving, they gave the principal gave us each a chocolate bar. They always seem to feel they have to give us something.
It was wonderful talking with Jafar. We talked a lot about comparisons of Palestinian and American culture. He's a very smart guy. One thing happened that I was kind of excited about. When were at at the school, the principal asked Jafar if he would be coming back each time with me. He told her he didn't know. I understood the conversation and told Jafar that he should tell her that someone would always come with me. They were surprised that I understood. I think that is the first time that I have overheard a conversation in Arabic and understood.
Now, to the interesting house issues. I was the last to leave this morning and Heide was still asleep. I locked the door when I left, but I didn't know that if you lock it with a key, you need a key to open it from the inside. Heide didn't have a key yet. So, when she woke up, she couldn't get out of the house. She was stuck in here for a long time. She explored the house - I guess looking for a way out. She discovered that we have a second bathroom that we didn't know about - just a toilet and sink, but useful with five of us living here. She also discovered that we can go up on the roof and it's a really great place.
Today, I had four classes! But I am definitely getting adjusted. My first class started at 11:30 and I needed to meet Jafar (my local volunteer) at 11:00. I went a little early to try to make some materials ahead of time. So, now I know how to use the Project Hope computers to download things on the internet and to make copies on their copy machine. Jafar and I took a taxi to the school. We went first to the public school. It's a school for boys and girls. Jafar asked me what we call a school that has boys and girls together in English. I told him it's just a school. The principal took me to a fourth grade class. She stayed most of the time to watch. After that class, she asked if I would come to the same classes each week. I told her I would like to, but that I would do whatever she wanted. She told Jafar that this class has some naughty children in it and I am able to control them, so she would prefer that I take that class. Then, I had two third grade classes in a row. It all went fine. The school was very nice. It's only two years old. I didn't take photos because I felt like I shouldn't take too many photos on my first time there and I will be back. They never seem to mind you taking photos of the children. When it was time to leave, they first gave us a coffee in the principal's office.
After the public school, we went to a school in the refugee camp. I didn't see us go through a gate or anything, but I realized that it looked different. The streets were narrow and unpaved. The class at the camp was an after-school program. The kids come if they want to. They were a fun group of kids. They know very little English, but now that I know it's just an after-school program, I can plan fun activities and not worry about how much progress they make. I did take photos of the kids there because there were no school personnel in the room with us - just Jafar and me. He has a good time joking with the kids. We had them make drawings and Jafar told them that I would take their drawings to America. One girl wasn't drawing and Jafar told her she wouldn't be able to go to America. She said, "I love it here in the camp." When we were leaving, they gave the principal gave us each a chocolate bar. They always seem to feel they have to give us something.
It was wonderful talking with Jafar. We talked a lot about comparisons of Palestinian and American culture. He's a very smart guy. One thing happened that I was kind of excited about. When were at at the school, the principal asked Jafar if he would be coming back each time with me. He told her he didn't know. I understood the conversation and told Jafar that he should tell her that someone would always come with me. They were surprised that I understood. I think that is the first time that I have overheard a conversation in Arabic and understood.
Now, to the interesting house issues. I was the last to leave this morning and Heide was still asleep. I locked the door when I left, but I didn't know that if you lock it with a key, you need a key to open it from the inside. Heide didn't have a key yet. So, when she woke up, she couldn't get out of the house. She was stuck in here for a long time. She explored the house - I guess looking for a way out. She discovered that we have a second bathroom that we didn't know about - just a toilet and sink, but useful with five of us living here. She also discovered that we can go up on the roof and it's a really great place.
No comments:
Post a Comment