Friday, March 10
Things are very quiet on Fridays here. I had heard from others that you need to get food in the morning because there will be nothing available in the afternoon. That was partially true. I went to my little pizza stand (he has other things) to get something to save for dinner. It was there in the morning, but gone in the afternoon. I also walked in the market and bought peppers, tomatoes and avocados. The man asked where I was from. I said America. He said, "welcome." This is a common occurrence here. I'm not sure how much English they have. I asked how much in Arabic and he told me the price in English. Again, all the vegetable sellers were gone in the afternoon.
The market yesterday afternoon:
The same place today:
It was kind of good to have the city so deserted. (It's not completely deserted. There were always a few people. I walked down that path above and there were always others walking, too.) It gave me more of a chance to take photos and do other things. Yesterday, I tried to go to the ATM. There are a bunch of them in that modern shopping mall. They all had lines waiting to use them. I tried a few, but was unsuccessful. Most want a Visa card and mine is MasterCard. Bank of Jordan takes MasterCard, but it gives the money in Jordanian dinars. I went back to the ATMs again today. There were no lines, so I could take my time trying different ones. Unfortunately, I got the same result. I could take the money out in dinars and convert it. Or, perhaps, go inside a bank to get the money. I'll ask for help at Project Hope tomorrow.
Nablus is full of stairs. My tracker is set for a goal of 10 floors per day. At home, some days I don't make it. Here, I have 10 floors before noon. Some days I have had 35 floors! These are all stairs that I go up at least once a day - usually more!
There are posters all over the city of "martyrs" - boys in hoodies killed by the Israeli Defense Forces.
The one above looks like he couldn't have been more than five years old.
Things are very quiet on Fridays here. I had heard from others that you need to get food in the morning because there will be nothing available in the afternoon. That was partially true. I went to my little pizza stand (he has other things) to get something to save for dinner. It was there in the morning, but gone in the afternoon. I also walked in the market and bought peppers, tomatoes and avocados. The man asked where I was from. I said America. He said, "welcome." This is a common occurrence here. I'm not sure how much English they have. I asked how much in Arabic and he told me the price in English. Again, all the vegetable sellers were gone in the afternoon.
The market yesterday afternoon:
The same place today:
It was kind of good to have the city so deserted. (It's not completely deserted. There were always a few people. I walked down that path above and there were always others walking, too.) It gave me more of a chance to take photos and do other things. Yesterday, I tried to go to the ATM. There are a bunch of them in that modern shopping mall. They all had lines waiting to use them. I tried a few, but was unsuccessful. Most want a Visa card and mine is MasterCard. Bank of Jordan takes MasterCard, but it gives the money in Jordanian dinars. I went back to the ATMs again today. There were no lines, so I could take my time trying different ones. Unfortunately, I got the same result. I could take the money out in dinars and convert it. Or, perhaps, go inside a bank to get the money. I'll ask for help at Project Hope tomorrow.
Nablus is full of stairs. My tracker is set for a goal of 10 floors per day. At home, some days I don't make it. Here, I have 10 floors before noon. Some days I have had 35 floors! These are all stairs that I go up at least once a day - usually more!
There are posters all over the city of "martyrs" - boys in hoodies killed by the Israeli Defense Forces.
The one above looks like he couldn't have been more than five years old.
No comments:
Post a Comment