Thursday, March 30, 2017
Today, I took a day trip to Sebastia with Elizabeth and Will. They are two new volunteers who came just this week. Sebastia is very close. We didn't need to leave early, so we had breakfast at the market at around 10:30 and then left Nablus at 11:30. We had a traditional Palestinian breakfast: salad, hummus, felafel and pita. (I think I took the photo too early - before he brought the hummus and the tea.)
It took only 20 minutes in the shared taxi and cost only 5.5 shekels to get there. It has lots of ruins. We went into the visitor center and the man there came out with us to show us the ruins. He showed us around for about 90 minutes or more. The ruins are quite amazing. They have some from the Canaanite period, the Hellenist period, Roman and Byzantine. Unfortunately, there were very few people there. It really would be a wonderful tourist site if more people would come. Sebastia also is supposed to be the place where John the Baptist's body is buried (not his head - that's in Damascus).
Here are some photos:
Some pretty wildflowers
Here's a rock from the Hellenic period that has the Olympic symbol on it.
I climbed up a hill to take a photo with the Palestinian flag.
Here's an interesting mural that was on a wall on the road going into old Sebastia
And, just as we were going to look for the shared taxi back to Nablus, we passed a man selling cotton candy!
Today, I took a day trip to Sebastia with Elizabeth and Will. They are two new volunteers who came just this week. Sebastia is very close. We didn't need to leave early, so we had breakfast at the market at around 10:30 and then left Nablus at 11:30. We had a traditional Palestinian breakfast: salad, hummus, felafel and pita. (I think I took the photo too early - before he brought the hummus and the tea.)
It took only 20 minutes in the shared taxi and cost only 5.5 shekels to get there. It has lots of ruins. We went into the visitor center and the man there came out with us to show us the ruins. He showed us around for about 90 minutes or more. The ruins are quite amazing. They have some from the Canaanite period, the Hellenist period, Roman and Byzantine. Unfortunately, there were very few people there. It really would be a wonderful tourist site if more people would come. Sebastia also is supposed to be the place where John the Baptist's body is buried (not his head - that's in Damascus).
Here are some photos:
Here's a rock from the Hellenic period that has the Olympic symbol on it.
I climbed up a hill to take a photo with the Palestinian flag.
Here's an interesting mural that was on a wall on the road going into old Sebastia
And, just as we were going to look for the shared taxi back to Nablus, we passed a man selling cotton candy!

No comments:
Post a Comment