So Many More Places To Go!

How many countries I have been to. Visited Countries Map Maker
Visited 35 UN countries (18.1%) out of 193.
Make your own visited countries map.

Thursday, May 14, 2015

The Jordan River, Jericho, and the Wilderness

Thursday, May 14, 2015
This morning we spent an hour in small groups. We discussed what each of the following meant to us: the Jordan River, Baptism and the Wilderness. Then we got on the bus and went to the Jordan River at the place where they believe Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist. It's in an area of the West Bank that is completely controlled by Israel. The Israeli government has made a national park there. We had to go through a checkpoint and then there are land mines on both sides of the road. When you get to the river, there are two separate areas with steps where you can go down to the river. There is a floating barrier that marks how far you can go on in the river. An Israeli soldier with a gun sits by each platform. The other side of the river is Jordan. 

First people in our group went in the water to different depths. I went to about mid-thigh. The water is kind of brown, so you can't see the bottom or the lower steps. I couldn't tell when the steps would end. Then, finally, I could feel that if I took the next step, I would go down a lot, so I stopped there. Jon and I went in together. Then we came out to the side (some people stayed in) and Brother Mark led us in the renewal of the Baptismal Covenent. While we were reading it, a could of the guys immersed themselves completely, one by one. (Head back with a guy on either side holding them). Then we sang Guide me, O thou great Jehovah. 
Ellen and I bought little plastic bottles for 6 shekels eac and filled them with water from the Jordan. 
Next we went to Jericho. There was a gift shop and also a man with a camel. You could get a camel ride for 20 shekels. I had never ridden a camel before, so I did it. Jon did, too. 
We went for lunch at the Al-Rawda Restaurant. They brought hummus, salads, and kabobs. All our meals are included so we never know the prices. We do pay for drinks. My water was $2. After lunch, we went to the Judean wilderness. This is where they say that Jesus went into the wilderness and was tempted by the devil. Restaurants and shops in this area have names with Temptation in them. We hiked out there and had time for reflection. There were also a Bedouin and his kids who followed us up the hill to sell us scarves and bracelets. 
When we got back to the college, we had half an hour before the cooking demonstration. Joseph showed us how he makes hummus, a chicken dish, tabouli, and an almond cake dessert. We will get the recipes in our package at the end of the course. 
Today is Ascension Day and the archbishop celebrated Eucharist at the cathedral. There were many people there. The music was lovely and the service was half in Arabic and half in English. We sang the Lord's Prayer in Arabic. 





No comments: