Wednesday, May 27, 2015
We went to bed at 9:00 last night and I actually slept at least four hours. We got up at 3:15 to be ready for the taxi that was picking us up at 4:00. The hotel was supposed to provide a bag breakfast. All they had was a pot of coffee and water, but both were cold, and some pieces of cake. We didn't complain since the happy hour was so good. The taxi driver was early. When we went downstairs, I couldn't get the door to open. The driver had to show me to press a special button. There's a lot of security,at this hotel. There's a lot of military and a hospital there. Cars have to go through a gate where they raise the barrier for each car.
The driver this morning was the same driver we had yesterday, but we couldn't fit all of us plus our luggage in his car. They should have known that in advance. If we're going to the airport, of course we have luggage. He had to call a second taxi. It came fairly quickly and was a normal size taxi. (The other car, which we used yesterday to go to Jaffa, was an SUV.).
Joanne and I went in the smaller car. This driver was older and spoke much more English. He was very chatty. He told us that his father moved to Israel in 1948 from Tunis. He asked where we were going and the said that's good because there were missiles fired into the south from Gaza this morning. He said if there's war, they won't make any money this year. So, then why did he want to tell us about it? When I looked it up on the internet later, I saw that there were no injuries and it happens about once a month.
When we got to the airport, we had to wait on a very slow moving line for someone to ask us questions. The one guy seemed to be new and he took forever. He kept going over to his supervisor to ask questions. Finally, I got called over by another guy who just asked me the typical airport questions. Did you pack your own bag? Has anyone given you anything? Etc. The college had warned us that we might be asked where we had been in Israel or if they asked where we stayed, they might then ask where St George's is to be sure we're telling the truth. Going through security with our carry-on was also painfully slow. In the US, they try to have you get through quickly. Here, they seem to be trying to make it slow. They were just chatting with each other and making us wait. Anyway, it was just a two-hour flight to Istanbul, but Turkish Airlines gave us a full breakfast.
Istanbul Airport is huge Nd definitely not my favorite airport - very confusing. We had a three-hour layover, so we shopped in the duty-free shops. I got some Turkish delight and Raki. When it was time to go to the gate (you can't go early), there was a long line. There were two flights at adjacent gates-one to San Francisco and one to Washington. We had to talk to someone who asked the same questions as in Israel. I did hear her ask someone else what was the purpose of their trip to the US. Then someone else took my passport and looked some things up on the computer. Finally, we took our bus to the plane. It was cold and raining. Still, Turkish Airlines is so wonderful. Before the plane takes off, they bring you a piece of Turkish Delight. Then, once in the air, you get a hot, wet towel. And then lunch - salad with goat cheese, choice of chicken or salmon, hummus and tomato sauce, veggies, hot bread and nougat mousse -- delish. I had red wine with my dinner. Then, after dinner, they asked if we wanted tea or coffee. Joanne had tea. I asked for a glass of Raki. They asked if I wanted it mixed with water - which I did - but they poured a full glass and then warned me that it's strong! If I've got to do a long flight, I might as well liquor up, especially since it's free. They came after a while and brought everyone a bottle of water. We can have sour cherry cake at any time during the flight. And there is Another meal right before landing.
When we landed at Dulles (about 7:30 EDT - 2:30 AM for my body clock), I was feeling very tired and spacey. Fortunately, we had arranged to take the airport shuttle, so we just had to get out luggage, go through customs and the shuttle was waiting. He drove us back to church. My car was there and started just fine.
I had set the thermostat at 85 degrees, so the house was hot when I got home. I now know that it takes much longer for the AC to lower the temperature in the house than it takes for the heat to raise it. Oh, well. Anyway, adjusting to the time change in this direction is much easier than going the other way.
Great trip. Happy to be home.
When we landed at Dulles (about 7:30 EDT - 2:30 AM for my body clock), I was feeling very tired and spacey. Fortunately, we had arranged to take the airport shuttle, so we just had to get out luggage, go through customs and the shuttle was waiting. He drove us back to church. My car was there and started just fine.
I had set the thermostat at 85 degrees, so the house was hot when I got home. I now know that it takes much longer for the AC to lower the temperature in the house than it takes for the heat to raise it. Oh, well. Anyway, adjusting to the time change in this direction is much easier than going the other way.
Great trip. Happy to be home.
No comments:
Post a Comment