So Many More Places To Go!

How many countries I have been to. Visited Countries Map Maker
Visited 35 UN countries (18.1%) out of 193.
Make your own visited countries map.

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Ending our time in Istanbul


Sunday, May 10, 2015. This morning we went to see the cisterns. They cost 20 TL. When I was there last year it was very crowded. This time we decided to go there first thing in the morning. Annette suggested that maybe most people do one of the big sites first and add the cisterns. So we decided to do the opposite. Breakfast starts at 8 in our hotel. So, each day we have a leisurely breakfast on the roof together till 9. Then we head out at 9:15. When we got to the cisterns at around 9:30, there was no line. So, walking a around the cisterns inside wasn't crowded. We could wander at our own pace. When we first got in there was a photographer. A girl approached me and asked if I wanted a picture - 20 TL for a family. They put you in Ottoman costumes. I thought it would be fun especially since we have only one guy, Raymond, and 5 women. Everyone agreed. The photographer took many photos of Sultan Raymond and the rest of us. At the end they said we could buy 3 framed photos and a CD with 100 photos of us for 120 TL. We decided to get it. That's still only 20TL each and we can burn extra CDs for each of us. 

Then we went over to the Blue Mosque. It was crowded, but still better than when I came last year. I think I waited in line last year for at least 45 minutes. This time we went right in, although it was quite crowded inside.  
After that, we walked to the Sea of Marmara to get a cruise on the Bosphorus. A ticket for a 2 hr cruise is only 12 TL. We also rented the audio guide for 10 TL but it was hard to tell where it was describing all the time.   Since it's Mothers Day, I called my mom from the ferry. I could hear everything perfectly. 
Tonight we tried another restaurant, Mosaik. It was in the same area near the Haggia Sofia. It was really good. The food was excellent and the seating was comfortable. We sat outside and they had heaters and heated seats. ( It's been kind of cold here.)
I should also mention that there seem to be public restrooms everywhere. Sometimes you pay a lira to use them, but they are always nice and clean. It makes it so you don't have to be afraid to drink enough water. 
Tomorrow we fly to Tel a Aviv. The airport van will pick us up at 9:50. 
20,817 steps. 8.69 miles

No comments: