Today was just a quiet day. I was tired from yesterday, so I just wanted to do some homework and rest. I'm thinking I may be getting into a routine here now and will probably stop writing every day soon. There just won't be very many new things. Also, uploading my pictures to Facebook went very quickly, but uploading to Snapfish takes forever. I think I will just wait till I get home to put pictures on Snapfish. The people who use Flicker say the same thing. On Facebook, we are all changing our city we live in to Fez and our school to Alif. I'll change it back when I get home, but for now, it's fun to have a FB page that says I live in Fez.
I forgot to tell you about the bakery yesterday. In Fez, each neighborhood has a bakery. Families bring their bread to the bakery to be baked in the communal oven. Each family then picks up their own freshly-baked bread. It looked like it just goes on a specific shelf. The oven is wood-fired. The guide said that bread has flour in the middle - good for your heart - and barley on the outside - good for your bones. He said if someone breaks a bone, they give the person barley. They also feed the donkeys barley so they can carry heavy loads in the medina.

3 comments:
I adore the idea of a communial bakery! Although I could see how it might be as annoying as communical washing machines.
Or even as annoying as communal computer carts!
In the late 60's, villages in Switzerland still had weekly "ovens". Villagers would bring bread, pies, and other desserts. The "building" looked more like potter's ovens. It was very cool.
Post a Comment