I didn't see any signs of celebration today. It seemed equivalent to Columbus Day or Veterans Day. The banks and schools were closed. Lots of kids in the stores and on the street (a nice sight). I washed clothes in the morning and hung them on the roof. Then I went to Marjane with Elizabeth. We were much more successful with taxis. First of all, we got in the taxi before we told them where we were going. Then we asked for old Marjane. Apparently, there are two. The old one (which looks the same as the new one to me) is closer. Also, Elizabeth asked the driver if he would be willing to come back for us at 12:15 (We left at 11) At first, he said he couldn't because he gets off at 11:30. Then, later, he said he could ask his replacement to come for us, but we would need to pay the round trip fare in that case. We said fine. I wondered how we would know which driver is his replacement, but he said to look at the number on the top of the taxi. That worked out great. Also, the driver came up to me in the parking lot and said Salaam walekum. Moroccans never approach you and talk to you when they don't know you. This is a good and a bad thing. You don't get harassed, but also if you want a taxi or something else, no one is going to offer help. You have to ask for it. Then they are happy to help you.
I had tons of homework, so I worked on that this afternoon. Then, Pierce and I cooked dinner for the four of us. I bought 6 bottles of wine at Marjane so we are well-stocked now. Jeremy is uncomfortable in the liquor store and I don't think Pierce or I should go there without a guy. At Marjane, it's really easy to buy wine - just like buying it with your groceries in the Giant. Other people in the house asked me if the clerk in Marjane looked at me like I was crazy buying 6 bottles of wine, but she didn't blink an eye. I thought I wouldn't be drinking any wine here, but it seems like I'm drinking more than home because there are always people to eat dinner with here. It's almost like a party every night. Tomorrow night Danny and Peter are cooking. They say they're making Italian. Tonight Danny and Peter went to the MacDonalds and came back saying it was fabulous! I still need to get more details. They had some kind of cheese balls (croquettes de fromage) and their food came in a Happy Meal without the toy. That's all I know so far.
I had tons of homework, so I worked on that this afternoon. Then, Pierce and I cooked dinner for the four of us. I bought 6 bottles of wine at Marjane so we are well-stocked now. Jeremy is uncomfortable in the liquor store and I don't think Pierce or I should go there without a guy. At Marjane, it's really easy to buy wine - just like buying it with your groceries in the Giant. Other people in the house asked me if the clerk in Marjane looked at me like I was crazy buying 6 bottles of wine, but she didn't blink an eye. I thought I wouldn't be drinking any wine here, but it seems like I'm drinking more than home because there are always people to eat dinner with here. It's almost like a party every night. Tomorrow night Danny and Peter are cooking. They say they're making Italian. Tonight Danny and Peter went to the MacDonalds and came back saying it was fabulous! I still need to get more details. They had some kind of cheese balls (croquettes de fromage) and their food came in a Happy Meal without the toy. That's all I know so far.
2 comments:
McDonald's should use this for an ad!
Okay the camel head on your previous post totally grossed me out! I hope you enjoy your italian dinner tomorrow and some wine...afterall...it is our monthly happy hour and you should celebrate no matter where you are in the world! Cheers!
Post a Comment