So Many More Places To Go!

How many countries I have been to. Visited Countries Map Maker
Visited 35 UN countries (18.1%) out of 193.
Make your own visited countries map.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Rain and cooking

First, two blog notes: (1) I don't think it's possible to send me an email through this blog, but if you know a way, don't do it.  In order to create the blog, I had to give a gmail address.  I created one, but I don't use it.  It's full of junkmail.  If you want to contact me, send an email to my yahoo address - or post a comment for all to read on the blog. (2) Have you noticed on the right side of the page "my blog list"  The first is Baby Violet's blog.  Her mom is my friend, Lemore.  Violet is so precocious that she started a blog before she even starts walking.  The other two belong to friends who live/lived in this house.  Peter, was here for 3 weeks.  He is an undergrad student originally from NY.  He's traveling with his parents now and then will go to Jordan.  I'm anxious to hear what he says about studying in Jordan.  Nimra is a graduate student planning to go to law school.  She's from Pennsylvania and will be here in Fez till May.  So, anyway, if you want to read someone else's take on life in Fez, read their blogs.  They're very different from mine.
Now to what's been happening since I last wrote:
Last night we made onion bread and Moroccan soup.  Leila, the woman who cleans the house here, gives cooking lessons.  Someone has to go with her in the morning to the market to buy the stuff (Chris did that.)  Then we all chip in for the ingredients and to pay Leila.  Last night's lesson and dinner cost $8 each and there are leftovers to eat tonight (but I think we are going to go out for fried fish instead.)  We made onion bread.  We all kneaded the bread and chopped onions.  Then, you fold the bread around the onions and fry it.  (Everything here has lots of olive oil.)  Jeremie is able to flip them with the pan like a crepe, but I needed a spatula.  The Moroccan soup turned out to be split pea soup - minus the ham of course.  It was okay, but I'm just not a big fan of pea soup.  Nicole took some photos of us cooking.  If she posts them on Facebook, I'll copy them and add them here.

Since I have been here it has only rained one day until today.  I really like the chance to get warm in the sun in the afternoon, but Morocco is in a drought.  The farmers are worried about their wheat.  Two weeks ago, the king directed the mosques to pray for rain.  I think they have been praying for rain every Friday since then.  I even saw on the website for the Catholic diocese of Rabat that they have a prayer for rain, too.  It has a picture with umbrellas falling from the sky (without Mary Poppins)
http://www.dioceserabat.org/
So, today, the skies were a little gray and five of us decided to go for a walk after lunch and explore a part of Ville Nouvelle that we hadn't really seen.  When we had been walking for about 15 minutes, it started to seriously rain.  We went in a cafe for a while, then came out when it stopped raining,  Of course it started pouring again as we walked home.  We got totally soaked.  My clothes are hanging from the railing on the stairs.  Pierce's shoes got totally soaked, too.  At least, my shoes miraculously stayed dry.  The sidewalks here get very slippery when it rains.  They seem to be made with ceramic tiles.



No comments: