Tomorrow is a Independence Day in Morocco. Apparently, the treaty was signed in Fez, so the king is coming to Fez. There are lots of security people on the streets. I asked our teacher what the king will do. He said he will probably make a speech on TV. Fez is one of four imperial cities in Morocco. The others are Casablanca, Marrakech, and Meknes. The king has 2 palaces in Fez. He doesn't use the big one. His father used to live in that one, but the current king uses a smaller palace which is in Ville Nouvelle. (That's the part of the city that the French built and it's where I live.) People say that he will make the big palace into a museum. Most of what I told you above (except the part about the imperial cities) I learned from my teacher today. He is very good at saying things in Arabic in a way that we can understand, but it is very possible that I completely misunderstood some things.
So, we have no classes tomorrow. I do have a lot of homework, though. And I need to go to Marjane again. I'm not looking forward to it. The store is fun, but finding a taxi to take you each way is difficult. I tried to use my hairdryer and it broke, so I need to buy a new one. And, of course, I'll think of lots of other things to get there. I'm also hoping to wash clothes tomorrow. We have a very fancy washing machine in the basement, but no dryer. So, I'd like to wash early and hang my clothes on the roof where there's lots of sun.
I don't know whether I mentioned how nice it is to live in the Alif Residence. There are five students in my class and four of us live here. We work on homework together or consult each other about assignments. In the time I studied Arabic in DC, I never really had anyone to talk to about it. It's fun to have people to laugh at expressions with you and to be able to say, "What in the world does that mean?"
So, we have no classes tomorrow. I do have a lot of homework, though. And I need to go to Marjane again. I'm not looking forward to it. The store is fun, but finding a taxi to take you each way is difficult. I tried to use my hairdryer and it broke, so I need to buy a new one. And, of course, I'll think of lots of other things to get there. I'm also hoping to wash clothes tomorrow. We have a very fancy washing machine in the basement, but no dryer. So, I'd like to wash early and hang my clothes on the roof where there's lots of sun.
I don't know whether I mentioned how nice it is to live in the Alif Residence. There are five students in my class and four of us live here. We work on homework together or consult each other about assignments. In the time I studied Arabic in DC, I never really had anyone to talk to about it. It's fun to have people to laugh at expressions with you and to be able to say, "What in the world does that mean?"
2 comments:
Hi Kathy,
I am glad you a chance to write. I missed hearing your news on Monday. I know it's hard to write every day, but I certainly enjoy reading whenever you write.
Sorry the taxi part is difficult. It would be great if you and the other students could find a taxi who would let you book travel ahead of time. I have heard of that in the US and England, but I don't know if it works anywhere else.
Take care,
Susan
Susan,
I've heard of that other places, too. In fact in Mali, there were taxi drivers who gave us their card and said to call them. I'm going to ask about that. Good idea.
Post a Comment