Today, we had breakfast at our La Quinta hotel in Warwick and then went to see Brown University in Providence. We had fun walking around the university.
We also went in lots of little shops near the campus. There was one shop that had lots of cool hippy type stuff. Wendy got a dress and I got a dress and shawl. I consulted the girl in the shop about tattoos. (She had many). Lately I stop every person with tattoos to ask about them. This girl said that you shouldn't get one in the summer because you don't want sun or chlorine on it for the first few weeks. I told her I've looked at tons of images on the web and still don't know what I want. She said when I see it, I'll know.
After Providence, we drove to Plymouth. We went to Plimoth Plantation. It was fabulous. They have a native village where real Native Americans dress in period costume and tell you about their customs at that time.
There was a man who was showing how they made headdresses. He had a couple there made with porcupine hairs and deer tails. He also knew a lot about Native American languages - and even African ones. He said that many slaves were brought from the Empire of Mali to the Americas and intermarried with the Native Peoples. So some people there spoke Bambara. His own language was Algonquan. It is a Lenape language. Lenape means human beings.
There is also an English settlement. That was quite large. We walked through many houses. They have actors in costume who talk to you as if they are the actual people. They have strange accents and know their stories very well. They were really excellent. We spent several hours on Plimoth Plantation.
There was also a farmer's market on the grounds. We went there before leaving. It was small and didn't have much, but they were making fresh arepas. We sat on the grass and had them for lunch. (It was 3:00). It was quite cool there - near the harbor and I had to go get my fleece from the car before I could enjoy the market.
Next, we drove less than 3 miles to see the reconstruction of the Mayflower. It was part of our ticket for Plimoth Plantation. It's fairly small. The ship itself isn't that interesting, but the actors are excellent, and told great stories.












No comments:
Post a Comment