We left Portland and headed up to Bar Harbor. We took a slight detour to go to a farmers market in Belfast. We were hoping to get Maine blueberries, but didn't find any. We bought some cheese and wine for dinner tonight. When we got Bar Harbor, we stopped at a little lunch place and had sandwiches. We also stopped at a roadside stand and bought strawberries. Then we continued on to find our campground in Acadia. It's kind of strange. I think the whole island is the park, but there are private homes here. There are also many private roads. When you enter the campground area, you have to pay or show your admission permit. We needed to go in to register for our campsite. We had a reservation, which I had made online ahead of time. I asked whether I could get my senior national park pass there. I've wanted to get one, but you have to buy it at a national park and there's always a long line to enter at Great Falls and I don't want to do anything to slow up the line. So, I got it at Acadia. It's $10 and it's good for life. If I had gotten it before I reserved the campsite, it would have been half the price. (Still, $22 per night was a great deal). We set up our tent and then went out to drive around. We are at the Saewall campground. It would have been better if we were at the Blackwell camp. Most of the interesting things are near there. There wasn't time to drive all the way to Park Loop Road. It's on the other side of the island, so we just drove around the area near our campground a little. We found a store and bought more dinner supplies: ice, pepperoni, more cheese, tomatoes and grapes. It was a very gourmet store - nice stuff, but expensive. We would have been better off to buy things at a regular grocery before we got to Acadia. Then we went back to the campsite and ate dinner. I went for a walk after that. Then we started a fire and had some wine.
On Saturday, 7/15, we left the campground to go see the sights. We had intended to stop in town to get coffee and then find a nice spot to have coffee with our blueberry scones that we got at the bakery yesterday, but the town was packed. There was some kind of parade (flamingo festival?). People were lining the street and the road was full of traffic. We just drove on as quickly as we could. We ate our scones in the car a little later. We also had bananas. (I got up before Wendy and I had 2 chocolate covered coffee beans when I was getting dressed in order to get my caffeine. Than we drove over to the park loop road. It means getting onto another peninsula. We drove to Cadillac Mountain. It has unbelievable views. Also, the gift store had coffee.
After that, we went to see the wild plant garden.
We also went to Sand Beach. It was wonderful. I took off my shoes and walked in the ocean. This is a beach where I would have loved to swim. The water was cold, but it would have been lovely to swim I it.
Then we went to see Thunderhole. It's a place where the tide comes in and fills a little area. We could also see whales from there.
We went to Gordon's Pond and had lunch in a lovely restaurant. I had lobster roll. I feel like I need to keep trying lobster roll at different places. It's always good.
Then we decided to walk the trail around Gordon's Pond. The ranger said it was 3 miles, but I'm sure it was more than that. It was a nice trail. We climbed over rocks and walked on planks over a bog, but we were worn out after that. And Wendy had a blister on her foot.
When we got back near the campground, we were totally sweaty. There's a store near he entrance to the campground that has showers for $1.50 for 2 minutes. We had enough quarters for each of us to take a 4 minute shower. We took showers right away - at about 4:00 because we thought it would be crowded in the morning. And it was getting crowded as we left. So, we got ourselves nice and clean to drive to Vermont tomorrow morning.
We came back to the campsite and had our leftovers from last night for dinner. It was more than enough. We had leftover cheese and gave it to some neighbors at another campsite. Wendy went to bed early because she didn't sleep last night. I sat up and drank some brandy that I bought in town.






No comments:
Post a Comment