So Many More Places To Go!

How many countries I have been to. Visited Countries Map Maker
Visited 35 UN countries (18.1%) out of 193.
Make your own visited countries map.

Monday, March 4, 2013

Floating and camping on the Ganges

March 2 and 3, 2013: From Allahabad we drove in a van for a couple hours. Then we came to the boats we would ride. There are 3 boats - two to carry three of us plus 2 rowers in each plus a kitchen boat to cook our food. We would just lie in the boat and talk, read, or sleep. It was lovely. Every once in a while we would stop on the bank of the river to pee. When it was time for meals, they would hook all 3 boats together and pass the food. It's amazing what delicious food those guys can cook on a boat.
We got to our campsite around dusk. First the guys put up the toilet tent - which is a good thing since there were no bushes there. The toilet tent is a little square tent. with a pocket where the TP is kept. They dig a hole in the sand inside it. Then the guys put up our little dome tents - just pop-up tents. Some of the others had many bugs in their tents. You can hear every word that anyone says in the other tents. Gavin was working on swatting all the bugs in his tent and said it was ironic that he was killing bugs with Gandhi's autobiography. We all laughed. It was very beautiful at the campsite. So quiet and calm. We were looking at stars early in the night. When the moon came out, it was very light. You didn't need a flashlight.
In the morning we had chai and breakfast and then set out again on the boats. The other boat always kept their canapé on but Neil, Gavin and I really liked the sun, so we decided to keep ours off till lunch. Also, I was trying not to drink too much water because I didn't want to keep asking the rowers to stop on the bank so I could pee. Big mistake. When we stopped for lunch my head was spinning. I knew I was likely to faint in about 30 seconds so I lay down in the boat. Binu had the guys put the cooler in front of me so I could elevate my feet. Then they had me drink some rehydration salts. I felt better after that but stayed lying down for the remaining hour on the boat. Neil carried my backpack to the van when we got off the boat. (The rowers carry the bags). Still, the boats and camping were fabulous experiences. I am really ready for a hotel and hot shower though.
When I type the blog on my phone, it only lets me put photos at the end. So, here are the photos:
1: the cooking boat
2: the boat with the other half of our group
3: bathroom tent
4: sleeping tents
5: me on the boat









2 comments:

Karen said...

Kathy, you sound so utterly relaxed. What a wonderful trip for you!

L. Fritz said...

Great picture of you on the boat. Violet and I are glad you are travelling and blogging again!