So Many More Places To Go!

How many countries I have been to. Visited Countries Map Maker
Visited 35 UN countries (18.1%) out of 193.
Make your own visited countries map.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

India transportation

Transportation is definitely unique. Here are the modes of transport I have used so far:
Bicycle rickshaw (photo1)
Touk-touk (photo 2)
Hired van (with driver's apprentice in photo (photo 3)
Yellow taxi: They always have interesting things on the dashboard like flowers or gods. (Photo 4 flowers and Ganesh. Photo 5 Shiva's wife + 2 others. Maybe one is Budda?
Row/sailboat (photos in a previous post)
Metro (no photo - similar to US)
Train (no photo - bathrooms very different from US). Yesterday (Thursday) was the last train ride. I was dreading it. I just felt like I'd had enough of trains and it's an all-day train to Kolkuta (Calcutta). Our assigned seats weren't together. I was sitting on my own in one cabine. Christine and Bridget were in the next one. I could leave my bag with them if I went to the bathroom. It turned that 2 Indian high school boys came to sit with me. They were cousins traveling with one boy's dad and the other's sister and little brother. We had a lovely time. I talked with them the entire trip. They had just finished exams and had been to Jaipur on vacation. They're from Kolkuta and are Bengali Hindus. They're very well-educated and taught me lots about India. At one point, Gavin came down by me to visit. The boys enjoyed talking to him. Then they took a walk down to the other car to meet Neil because they wanted to know everyone in our group. It was really a great train trip.

Transportation I have NOT used:
Truck with "Blow Horn" painted on the back. In India truck drivers actually want you to blow your horn when you pass them.
Hand rickshaw. These exist only in Calcutta now. Note that the driver is not wearing shoes.













No comments: