This morning I took the train to Fez as planned. The train trip was about 4 hours and quite interesting. I saw cows, horses, sheep and donkeys. I also saw some large piles of garbage. We climbed some mountains and my poor ears which have not recovered yet from 2 flights were not happy with the change in elevation. The train arrived 30 minutes late, but the driver was still there waiting for me. When we got to Alif, Yousif (housing guy) came running over and showed me to my room.
There was an American guy sitting on the patio outside reading a book. After putting my bags in my room, I went outside to catch him and ask some questions before he disappeared. His name is Jeremy. (I need some friends right now.) It turns out Jeremy just arrived 2 days ago, so he could use some friends too. He says everyone else he has met is about to leave. There may be some people who are continuing from last session, but they might be away on vacation during the break. So, Jeremy showed me how to get in the gate when it's locked and told me that I don't need a password for the internet. He says the server cuts out sometimes, which made it difficult for him to skype with his girlfriend (hope he doesn't mind me telling the world his personal stuff on my blog!), but for emails, etc it should be just fine. I asked him where I could get lunch and he walked to a cafe with me (a good thing, since women don't really go to cafes alone here.) Then, we came back and there was a guy here cooking. We stayed in the kitchen to talk to him. He has been here since September, so he was able to give us a lot of tips on living in Fez. It's nice to talk to the two of them because we can discuss issues of learning Arabic and of living in Morocco. It feels like we have so much in common. Jeremy and I are going to get dinner at 7:00. So, I have one friend! (The other guy is about to move out.)
I have been worried about recharging things here. I knew the Mac says that you can just use the plug adapter and the computer knows what the current is, but I was really afraid to try that. I asked Jeremy and he has been charging his Imac in exactly that way, so I am charging mine right now, as I type. It hasn't blown up yet.
As for my room. There's nothing fantastic or exotic about it. It's next to the bathroom so that's really nice. It has a set of shelves a little like the ones in Wendy's apartment. I have put my clothes on them. I also have a desk, sink and a twin bed. I'll try to take pictures tomorrow.
And it's definitely quite cold. Sitting at my desk, I'm trying to remember where I packed my gloves so I can wear them while I'm typing this. Right now I am wearing jeans, silk long undershirt, turtleneck, and a heavy long pull-over sweater. I took my coat off, but I would be comfortable with it on. Jeremy says he has been sleeping with a blanket and his coat on him. (I think I'm prepared for the nights.) There is a coffee maker in the kitchen. I'll go out and buy coffee tomorrow. I still need to learn my way around. In the meantime, the delicious chocolate-covered coffee beans that Susan gave me have been sustaining me well on my trip. :)
4 comments:
Dear Kathy,
Remember cement block? Amazing stuff. Virtually all construction in developing areas is done in cement block. Advantages: easy to build and solid. With high ceilings, it virtually guarantees a cooler room in hot climates. Problems: moisture retention. This extra moisture makes your bones feel as though it is colder than the thermostat would imply. When I lived in the Magreb, no buildings had inside heating, so evenings and mornings felt uncomfortably cold. I think you've caught on to the layering idea. Your body will get used to it eventually. I'm so happy that you found a male friend. Two women together is ok, but in the evening, a guy's presence is so very nice!! Wishing you a Wonderful 2012!
Karen
Karen, I didn't know the thing about the cement block. I was just looking at the high ceiling in my room (15 ft?) and thinking this may be a lot of the problem since any heat at all is probably up there. There is a little radiator in here, but it is only warm and doesn't seem to make any difference at all. Jeremy says there are hot showers here. The sink in my room and the one in the bathroom have only cold water. I might see about getting a little bucket so I can bring some warm water in my room to wash my face at night.
Hi Kathy,
Glad the beans are a good temporary substitute for your coffee. This time last year I was emailing you from Atlanta, hoping I could make it through the school year, and looking forward to living in Savannah and having you to visit here. So much has changed...and I know we're both loving it! I love your blog and reading your news. I am glad that you've found a friend and know you'll have many more. Stay warm...buy a hat...a fez maybe?
Take care,
Susan
I should have sent you off with a knit hat and cowl. I agree with Susan that you need to buy a hat. You'll be surprised at how much warmer you are with a hat on. When I worked at camp years ago we would wrap a towel around our heads at night to help keep warm on really cold nights.
Post a Comment