Buying things is definitely more difficult here, although that is partly because I don't have a car. There are several big stores. Marjane is the largest. It's like a Walmart superstore. It has food (meat, dairy, canned, produce, liquor, everything), clothing, appliances, school supplies - just about anything you might need. There are 2 Marjanes, but both are quite far. You need to take a taxi and sometimes it's hard to find one. I have gone there three times and I don't expect to need to go again before I leave. I didn't take any photos, but it really looks quite similar to stores in the US or in France.
The place where we buy most of our food is the Marché Central. It's a little area that has a wall around it and you go up some steps to enter. Below is a picture of the main entrance.
Inside, there are small shops selling different things.
Produce: When you are interested in something, you start choosing some and the man will give you either a plastic bag or a basket. After you have chosen what you want, he weighs it on a scale that uses weights for a counterbalance. Sometimes they will put a smaller weight in with what you bought in order to determine the weight (subtract). Or, sometimes, they take some out. One time I had counted out 15 tangerines. He weighed it, then took one tangerine out and told me it was 2 kilos.
Olives, olive oil and other things in cans. (These things are more expensive than the produce.)

Fish: (I haven't tried buying any)
Birds for sale as pets. They even have African greys. I haven't asked what the prices are for them.
The cheese man is my favorite. He has all sorts of cheese: Moroccan goat cheese, gouda with cumin (delish!), camembert, swiss, etc. He speaks excellent French. I think he has a lot of European customers. He also sells wine and other alcohol (not easy to find in Morocco.)
The place where we buy most of our food is the Marché Central. It's a little area that has a wall around it and you go up some steps to enter. Below is a picture of the main entrance.
Inside, there are small shops selling different things.
Produce: When you are interested in something, you start choosing some and the man will give you either a plastic bag or a basket. After you have chosen what you want, he weighs it on a scale that uses weights for a counterbalance. Sometimes they will put a smaller weight in with what you bought in order to determine the weight (subtract). Or, sometimes, they take some out. One time I had counted out 15 tangerines. He weighed it, then took one tangerine out and told me it was 2 kilos.
Olives, olive oil and other things in cans. (These things are more expensive than the produce.)
Fish: (I haven't tried buying any)
Birds for sale as pets. They even have African greys. I haven't asked what the prices are for them.
The cheese man is my favorite. He has all sorts of cheese: Moroccan goat cheese, gouda with cumin (delish!), camembert, swiss, etc. He speaks excellent French. I think he has a lot of European customers. He also sells wine and other alcohol (not easy to find in Morocco.)

No comments:
Post a Comment