Now that it's getting close to time to leave, I'm trying to cram in everything that needs to be done. My final exam is Thursday. I was planning on leaving Fez on Friday, but have now decided to leave on Saturday. My flight leaves from Casablanca on Monday morning, so I definitely need to sleep in Casa Sunday night, but several friends are taking the train to Casa on Saturday and I'd rather go with friends than take the train by myself. And this way I can do any last minute things on Friday.
Yesterday, several of us went to the medina. Unfortunately, my camera battery was dead, but I've already posted lots of medina pics on previous posts. We didn't see any camel heads hanging at the butcher's this time. I bought belts for Oumar and Ish and some other stuff. Then we went to Cafe Clock for lunch. It's a restaurant in the medina that's owned by a British couple. I'm sorry I wasn't able to take any photos there because it is a really nice place. And they serve camelburgers! Pierce ordered the camelburger and I ordered a lambburger and we each ate half of each. We both agreed that we liked the lamb better (more flavor), but the camel was fine, too.
Today, five us went to the Tombeaux des Merinides. It's a hill with tombs on it. When Nicole went, there were shepherds and she got to hold a baby lamb. Unfortunately, we only saw tombs and people. Some of the tombs are quite recent. It's hard to tell with others. The dates, etc seem to come off very quickly. Some of the tombs had a drain - I guess so that they won't fill with water.
Then, we went to the Hotel des Merinides for a coffee. It is a beautiful. (Chris O.: If you are reading this, it reminded me of when we went to the Mande Hotel in Bamako. No river with pirogues, but a great hillside view of the city instead. A place where you think you'd love to stay there and then realize you'd run out of money after the first night.) Even the bathrooms were nice. I thought about taking photos in the ladies room, but then some other women came in and I thought they'd think I was strange.
Here are some pics of the view. The first one is a man with his donkey. I should have tried to get it closer.
Yesterday, several of us went to the medina. Unfortunately, my camera battery was dead, but I've already posted lots of medina pics on previous posts. We didn't see any camel heads hanging at the butcher's this time. I bought belts for Oumar and Ish and some other stuff. Then we went to Cafe Clock for lunch. It's a restaurant in the medina that's owned by a British couple. I'm sorry I wasn't able to take any photos there because it is a really nice place. And they serve camelburgers! Pierce ordered the camelburger and I ordered a lambburger and we each ate half of each. We both agreed that we liked the lamb better (more flavor), but the camel was fine, too.
Today, five us went to the Tombeaux des Merinides. It's a hill with tombs on it. When Nicole went, there were shepherds and she got to hold a baby lamb. Unfortunately, we only saw tombs and people. Some of the tombs are quite recent. It's hard to tell with others. The dates, etc seem to come off very quickly. Some of the tombs had a drain - I guess so that they won't fill with water.
Then, we went to the Hotel des Merinides for a coffee. It is a beautiful. (Chris O.: If you are reading this, it reminded me of when we went to the Mande Hotel in Bamako. No river with pirogues, but a great hillside view of the city instead. A place where you think you'd love to stay there and then realize you'd run out of money after the first night.) Even the bathrooms were nice. I thought about taking photos in the ladies room, but then some other women came in and I thought they'd think I was strange.
Here are some pics of the view. The first one is a man with his donkey. I should have tried to get it closer.


No comments:
Post a Comment